Identify, analyze, and resolve current and potential network security problems
* Learn diagnostic commands, common problems and resolutions, best practices, and case studies covering a wide array of Cisco network security troubleshooting scenarios and products
* Refer to common problems and resolutions in each chapter to identify and solve chronic issues or expedite escalation of problems to the Cisco TAC/HTTS
* Flip directly to the techniques you need by following the modular chapter organization
* Isolate the components of a complex network problem in sequence
* Master the troubleshooting techniques used by TAC/HTTS security support engineers to isolate problems and resolve them on all four security domains: IDS/IPS, AAA, VPNs, and firewalls
With the myriad Cisco® security products available today, you need access to a comprehensive source of defensive troubleshooting strategies to protect your enterprise network. Cisco Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook can single-handedly help you analyze current and potential network security problems and identify viable solutions, detailing each step until you reach the best resolution.
Through its modular design, the book allows you to move between chapters and sections to find just the information you need. Chapters open with an in-depth architectural look at numerous popular Cisco security products and their packet flows, while also discussing potential third-party compatibility issues. By following thepresentation of troubleshooting techniques and tips, you can observe and analyze problems through the eyes of an experienced Cisco TAC or High-Touch Technical Support (HTTS) engineer or determine how to escalate your case to a TAC/HTTS engineer.
Part I starts with a solid overview of troubleshooting tools and methodologies. In Part II, the author explains the features of Cisco ASA and Cisco PIX® version 7.0 security platforms, Firewall Services Module (FWSM), and Cisco IOS® firewalls. Part III covers troubleshooting IPsec Virtual Private Networks (IPsec VPN) on Cisco IOS routers, Cisco PIX firewalls with embedded VPN functionalities, and the Cisco 3000 Concentrator. Troubleshooting tools and techniques on the Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) framework are discussed thoroughly on routers, Cisco PIX firewalls, and Cisco VPN 3000 concentrators in Part IV. Part IV also covers troubleshooting Cisco Secure ACS on Windows, the server-side component of the AAA framework. IDS/IPS troubleshooting on IDS/IPS appliances, IDSM-2 blade, and NM-CIDS blade on Cisco IOS routers are covered in
Part V. In Part VI, the author examines the troubleshooting techniques for VPN/Security Management Solution (VMS) tools used for managing products from all four security domains in greater detail: IDS/IPS, AAA, VPNs, and firewalls.
Cisco Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook prepares you to troubleshoot your network's security devices and presents step-by-step procedures for tackling issues that arise, so that you can protect your network.
This security book is part of the Cisco Press® Networking Technology Series. Security titles from Cisco Press help networking professionals secure critical data and resources, prevent and mitigate network attacks, and build end-to-end self-defending networks.