Pro JPA 2 introduces, explains, and demonstrates how to use the new Java Persistence API (JPA). JPA provides Java developers with both the knowledge and insight needed to write Java applications that access relational databases through JPA.
Authors Mike Keith and Merrick Schincariol take a hands–on approach to teaching by giving examples to illustrate each new concept of the API and showing how it is used in practice.
All of the examples use a common model from an overriding sample application, giving readers a context from which to start and helping them to understand the examples within an already familiar domain.
After completing the book, you will have a full understanding and be able to successfully code applications using JPA. The book also serves as a reference guide during initial and later JPA application experiences.
- Hands-on examples for all the aspects of the JPA specification, based on the reference implementation of this specification
- A special section on migration to JPA
- Expert insight about various aspects of the API and when they are useful
- Portability hints to provide increased awareness of the potential for non–portable JPA code
What you’ll learn
- Get started with enterprise applications using JPA 2.
- Get up to speed with Object–Relational Mapping and Entity Manager.
- Learn and use queries and the query language (JP QL).
- Employ advanced Object–Relational Mapping techniques.
- Use XML mapping files and learn other advanced techniques.
- Package and deploy your Java persistence applications.
- Test your Java persistence applications.
- Migrate your Java persistence applications.
Who is this book for?
The book generally targets enterprise and persistence developers who fall in one of three categories:
- Those who are new to persistence; we will present some background information and introduce these readers to the basic persistence concepts to bring them up to speed.
- Those who know and/or use existing ORM persistence products such as Hibernate or TopLink.
- Those who have already used JPA and want to learn about the new features that JPA 2 introduces, or have a good reference book to turn to when they develop JPA applications.
In general, we assume that the reader is knowledgeable with Java, SQL, and JDBC, and has a little knowledge of J2EE
About the Apress Pro Series
The Apress Pro series books are practical, professional tutorials to keep you on and moving up the professional ladder.
You have gotten the job, now you need to hone your skills in these tough competitive times. The Apress Pro series expands your skills and expertise in exactly the areas you need. Master the content of a Pro book, and you will always be able to get the job done in a professional development project. Written by experts in their field, Pro series books from Apress give you the hard–won solutions to problems you will face in your professional programming career.